Ikea reaches settlement on Prop 65 complaint
Ikea agreed to pay USD 60,000 in civil penalties of which 75 % goes to the California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) and a remaining 25 % to Laurence Vinocur – Chanler's professional plaintiff filing complaints. An additional USD 39,000 in legal fees are also payable.
Prop 65 is a state law requiring point-of-sale notification by manufacturers to consumers of chemicals known to the state to cause cancer, birth defects or reproductive harm. The law does not require elimination of the chemical, but allows citizen plaintiffs to cite companies for lack of proper notice for listed chemicals.
TDCPP was cited in the complaint .This flame retardant is used in polyurethane foam to help meet California's TB 117 upholstery flammability standard. Among more than 200 complaints, four TDCPP Prop 65 violation settlements have been listed by the California Attorney General's Office this year, however Ikea is one of the largest furniture suppliers to settle.
The effective date of the settlement is 30 September 2013 and Ikea admits no wrongdoing. As part of the settlement, Ikea agrees by 31 March 2014 only to manufacture, import, ship, sell and distribute for sale in California products that contain no more than 0.0025 % by weight of TDCPP or TCEP in foam or filling materials.